Meet Earlene Hickman, Lead Mail Clerk

posted in: Employee Profile | 0

Earlene-023What do you enjoy most about your work at Chemeketa?
I get to see everybody. I get to talk to everybody. I get to socialize which is what I do best.

How do you determine or evaluate success?
I thought I became successful when I graduated from Chemeketa and my success continued with a full-time job.

How else are you serving the community?
I’m a foster parent. I take children who have parents that are incarcerated for less than ten years. I take the children knowing I will have the joy of giving them back when their parents get out. I have two now. This is my third set so I have done six and I’m done when these two transition back to their mom in two years because I’m fifty now and losing my patience.

What person living or gone inspires you?
My mother. We lost her last year. My mother was my backbone in going to school. She said, “What are you going to do with your life? Just go from job to job?”

I’d had seven jobs before I went to college. I just have to feel that there’s a team at work and if there’s not a team, I don’t want to be there.

She’s like, “You go to Chemeketa. You get yourself an education. Do whatever you want to do. Find you a nook.” So she was my inspiration. I found me a nook.

What talent would you most like to have?
I love to sing but I don’t have a talent.

Describe your self using only two words
Black woman. And I’m proud of it.

What is your most treasured possession?
My Pomeranian Xavier.

What kind of hobbies or activities do you enjoy in your spare time?
I like to dance hip hop. All my kids are in their twenties or early thirties so I get out there and try to do the same thing they do.

Dream vacation?
Mardi Gras is a dream vacation and I’m going to go as my gift to me when I’m done with these last foster children.

What are you following on social media?
I love me some Facebook. I play with them twenty-somethings all the time.

Most thrilling moment?
My most thrilling moment was when I got married ‘cause I’ve only been married once and I was forty.

If you had the choice of being able to fly or being invisible, which would you choose?
I want to fly so I can go anywhere I want to go. Bahamas, here I come.