GwenEllyn Anderson is Community Educator of the Year

posted in: Recognition | 0

The Oregon Association of Community and Continuing Education gave Chemeketa instructor GwenEllyn Anderson its Community Educator of the Year award at a May 3 event.

A student from Andersons French for Travelers class nominated her for the award, citing in the entry, “GwenEllyn is probably the most creative teacher I have ever had.  She presents the material through lecture, interactive games of various sorts, videos, and dialogue, to name a few of the things she has used.”

Anderson has worked at Chemeketa since 1991 and was among the first faculty to teach online classes for the college. She describes herself as a brain-based educator which means she applies her understanding of how the human mind works at various life stages to create interactive, meaningful lessons.

Anderson says the honor is especially gratifying as she contemplates retirement, “But who am I kidding? I’ve been teaching since I was 4 years old and had younger siblings to play school with. Teaching is in my blood, and I’ll find some way to teach no matter where I go or what I do in my life.”