Fudge Frenzy 2018

posted in: Event, Feature article | 0

Since 1997, Doug Moxley has been delighting friends, family and Chemeketa colleagues with the festive decadence that is Fudge Frenzy. Don’t miss this year’s fun on Friday, December 7 from 11 am- 2 pm in the IT Reception Area in Building 22.

What began as a way to avoid frantic holiday shopping while still providing personal gifts has turned into 21 years of food comas for those lucky enough to be on Doug’s “nice” list.

“It’s become a tradition… and an expectation. I tried taking break one year but the Statesman Journal decided to write an article about me and my fudge. I had to make something. Let’s just say it was a low-production year.”

So what does a standard production year look like in Moxley’s holiday kitchen? “Two-hundred pounds of fudge in 20-30 flavors, half of which I bring to Chemeketa. It’s probably more work shopping for ingredients, but I still prefer it,” Doug says spiritedly, grinning as he scrolls his phone for this year’s new flavors.

“I try to experiment with five or six new flavors a year. That becomes a little more challenging every year; I think I’m at around 160 unique flavors now.”

With so many flavor experiments throughout the years (including Chow Mein, Guinness, and Buttmeister), one has to wonder–has there ever been a fudge flavor flop? “People hated the low-fat fudge and my granola fudge was too dry,” he recalls. “Granola gets a second chance this year, but with a peanut butter base. Hopefully the dryness issue has been addressed.”

It takes a week to make and set the fudge and another week or more to cut it all. But that’s if Doug works alone, which he doesn’t have to because he welcomes helpers. “It’s boring,” he warns, “but I gather a bunch of movies and make the most of it.”Read about it here.

To learn more find Fudge Frenzy on Facebook. 

*Fun fact: Doug once saved a marriage with his fudge. Read about it here.

Fudge Frenzy

Friday, December 7, 11 am- 2 pm
IT Reception Area, Building 22

2018 Flavors
  1. Almond Joy
  2. Blood Orange*
  3. Butterscotch
  4. Butterscotch Crunch
  5. Cappuccino
  6. Chick-O-Stick
  7. Chocolate
  8. Chocolate Almond
  9. Chocolate Hazelnut
  10. Chocolate Pudding*
  11. Cinnilla*
  12. Egg Nog
  13. Espresso
  14. Glitter Mint*
  15. Lime in the Coconut*
  16. Peanut Butter
  17. Peanut Butter Cup
  18. Peanut Butter Granola
  19. Pumpkin Pie
  20. Raspberry
  21. Raspberry Cream
  22. White Coconut Pecan*
  23. White Krispies*
  24. White Peppermint

* denotes a brand new flavor