The risk of slips and falls increases in the winter. The frequent transition from wet surfaces to ice can result in a significant number of injuries during this time period. Moss and wet leaves can also be slip hazards.
What steps can you take to reduce the risk of slips and falls at work?
Here are some ideas:
- Wear appropriate footwear with good traction
- When possible, avoid areas with snow, ice, or wet tile floors, such as near entrances or after a floor has been mopped
- Keep your main walkways clear of ice and snow
- When walking, look where you are going and have your hands ready to steady yourself should you slip
- Slow down! Hurrying increases your risk of slipping
- Avoid carrying items that can reduce your ability to see icy or snowy areas
If you are interested in safety and would like to join the Chemeketa Safety Committee, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.