A Diversity Minute: Laziness is a Myth

posted in: News article | 0

Authored by: Vivi Caleffi Prichard, Diversity and Equity officer

“If a person’s behavior doesn’t make sense to you, it is because you are missing a part of their context.”

When I read the title of this article, I was partially skeptical. As an instructor, I’ve spent countless times reaching out to students in hopes that they would put more effort into their assignments, resulting in a better grade. Too often my final conclusion was that there are students who simply don’t care. I wouldn’t consciously get as far as calling those students lazy, but I subconsciously made lots of assumptions about them.

This three-minute article provides another perspective. The author indicates that our students encounter barriers that they rarely verbalize to their instructors, and if we were to understand their context, we may be able to identify different ways to support them.

You can find this article and much more at eab.com. The College has a subscription and you can get lots of well-researched information about pretty much anything higher ed. You just need to create a login.

A Diversity Minute is posted on Chemeketa Connects on an ongoing basis and promotes short videos and other resources related to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Do you want to recommend a video? Please email vivi.caleffi.prichard@chemeketa.edu.