Chemeketa's truck driving certificate will provide the knowledge and skills needed to earn your Commercial Driver License (CDL) in four weeks.
Skills & InterestCoordination
Why choose Truck Driving?
Over the next ten years, the employment field for truck drivers is expected to grow by at least 6 percent. Plus, there is currently a shortage of truck drivers. A current shortage of 50,000 truck drivers nationwide is expected to grow to 174,000 drivers by 2026. In the Mid-Valley, there are almost 400 openings annually for truck drivers stemming from job growth and replacing retired drivers.
What will you learn?
Chemeketa's truck driving certificate program consists of 160 hours of coursework-
- XCDL 9100A- Introduction to Professional Truck Driving & Logistics (40 hours)
- XCDL 9100B- Practical Applications in Professional Truck Driving & Logistics (80 hours)
- XCDL 9100C- Transportation Customer Service Skills (40 hours)
This coursework will provide the skills necessary for you to earn your Commercial Driver License, or CDL.
What will you do?
A career in truck driving can provide many things-
- Job security
- Great starting salaries
- Variety of cargo hauling
- Options for local or interstate jobs
In order to be eligible for the program, you must-
- Have a valid Oregon driver license with at least one year driving experience
- Be at least 18 years old to drive in-state, and 21 years old to drive across state lines
- Provide verifiable work history or schooling
- Certain felony convictions can limit employment. Hazmat hauling has stricter rules; if you plan to haul Hazmat materials, inquire with employer/DMV prior to pursuing program
- Pass a Department of Transportation (DOT) physical examination and drug screening (completed after acceptance into program)
- Once you have met program prerequisites, you will need to obtain a Class A CDL learner permit with Airbrake and Combination Vehicles endorsements prior to the start of the program session. Test administered at DMV in English only.
Session Start Dates
Spring Term: Classes begin May 9, 2022. Location: Salem Campus
Days/Times: Monday through Friday from 8am-4:30pm (subject to change). One overnight drive required during session-exact date to be determined in class.
Summer Term:Location: Salem Campus. (Class hours subject to change)June 6 - July 1, Monday through Friday from 8am to 4pm (4-week training)July 11 - Aug 19, Monday through Friday from 7am to Noon (6-week training)July 11 - Sept 16, M/W/F 6pm to 9 pm and Sat 8am to 3pm (10-week training)Aug 22 - Sept 30, Monday through Friday from 7am to Noon (6-week training)
Please complete the following steps for entry into the program-
- Complete the Truck Driving Application.
- Applicants should ensure they will meet the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requirements to get a CDL.
- Obtain an official printed copy of your driving record from the DMV. If you held a license in more than one state in the past five years, a driving record from each state is required.
Return application and driving record to-
Chemeketa Community College
Truck Driving Program
306 NE Norton Ln
McMinnville, OR 97128
Tuition & Fees
Tuition and fees for the program are as follows-
Prior to Training Fee Paid By Amount DOT Drug Screen Student (Chemeketa orders and schedules) $50 DOT Physical Exam Student $90 DOT Driving Record Student $3 CDL Learners Permit Student $23 Knowledge Test Student $10 Airbrakes Test Student $10 Combination Vehicle Student $10 CDL Program
Student (see "payment information" menu
for scholarship information below)
*Starting 10/3/2022 tuition total will be $5,000*
$4,600 Post Training Fee Paid By Amount CDL Testing Student $220* CDL Driver's License Student $75-$135*
*Tuition and fees are subject to change.
Payment Methods- (non-credit programs are not eligible for financial aid through Chemeketa financial aid office.)
- Cash, Check, Credit Card
- Financial assistance is available to qualifying students offered through Worksource Oregon Vocational Scholarship. Please visit the Worksource Oregon website for more information at http://www.
- Chemeketa Job Corps Scholars
- Truck Driving is an eligible program
- Personal Loans
- Students can obtain their own financing through a financial institution of their choice
Several trucking companies have sign-on bonuses or tuition reimbursements once a student earns their CDL.
Need to brush up on your truck driving skills? We offer one-on-one training with our instructors to address your areas of need. See pricing below!
Refresher Courses Description Paid By Amount 2 Hours-Truck Testing only Student $200 3 Hours Student $350 5 Hours Student $550 7 Hours Student $750 15 Hours Student $1200
Need a Hazmat endorsement on your CDL? We offer an online course (book included) for a hazardous materials endorsement allowing you to drive any vehicle carrying hazardous materials.
You must have your CDL Class A Learner's Permit for acceptance to class (required to submit a copy).
Classes open in June. Please email email@example.com to get on the wait list.
Description Paid By Amount Hazmat Online Course Student $200
Additional Requirements per DMV
- Meet the requirements for, or have, a CDL;
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident [ORS 807.173(1)(c)];
- Pay for and pass the HAZMAT Endorsement Knowledge Test;
- Pay for and pass a Transportation Security Administration Criminal Background Check (see below);
- Pass a vision test; and
- Pay the endorsement and replacement fee.
Note: You are required to pass the HAZMAT Knowledge Test every time you renew your license.
Transportation Security Administration Security Threat Assessment
- You must pass a TSA security check every five years to keep this endorsement.
- The security check can take 60 days or more to complete.
- You must pass another TSA security check if you are coming from another state and your last TSA check was more than 4 years and 9 months ago.
- We will verify the date of a previous security check with the TSA.
- You must start a TSA security check online at the TSA website or by calling Universal Enrollment Services at 855-347-8371.
- Check the status of your case to see if you passed.