Learn the science and art of growing, caring for and using plants.
topics Agricultural Sciences
Skills & InterestWorking with your hands
Why choose Horticulture?
The nursery and greenhouse industry remains the top segment in all of Oregon agriculture in 2020 with $1.19 billion in sales. Forty percent of that was from Marion, Polk and Yamhill counties.
Chemeketa’s horticulture program helps you start or advance your career in horticulture. The greenhouse at Chemeketa's Salem Campus provides you with hands-on training while you earn your Associated of Applied Science degree in horticulture, and you also have the chance to earn credit for real-world work experience.
What will you learn?
Completing the Horticulture degree will teach you to –
- Perform skills and use equipment to care and grow plant in nurseries and greenhouses
- Recognize, name and understand management needs for plants grown in Oregon nurseries and greenhouses
- Know government regulations for nursery and greenhouse operations, work and pesticide safety, water regulations and crop sanitation
- Evaluate production in terms of sustainability
See Course Sequences for more information.
What will you do?
The Horticulture degree prepares for a number of different careers in nursery and greenhouse work, including –
- Crew Leader
- Inventory controller
- Irrigation specialist
- Plant seller
- Customer service representative