HVAC/R Technician Apprenticeship Program
Chemeketa provides classes and administers this registered HVAC/R apprenticeship program in partnership with Mid-Valley HVAC/R Committee, MA #2026, and under the guidance of the Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI).
How to Apply
Mid-Valley HVAC/R Committee, MA 2026 shall not discriminate against apprenticeship applicants or apprentices based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation, genetic information, or because they are an individual with a disability or a person 18 years old or older. Mid-Valley HVAC/R Committee, MA 2026 shall take affirmative action to provide equal opportunity in apprenticeship and shall operate the apprenticeship program as required under this Plan and Title 29 CFR, part 30.
HVAC/R Apprenticeship Program
Classes begin in fall term. First-year classes are open to the public. You may only apply for the program during an opening. Women, Veterans and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Application openings are based on industry need and announced:
- 30 days prior to accepting applications
- posted on this website
Interested in applying? Email or call 503.399.5255, and you will receive the application in the next opening.
Complete applications are ranked based on points received during the application process. You will be sent out in rank order to apply to work for our employer partners.
Chemeketa placement testing for Apprenticeship
- Submit this online form to determine the test you need: placement assessment
- Answer all questions, and Chemeketa Placement staff will direct you to the correct placement test. Under the Intent section, select “I am applying for an Apprenticeship program...”
- You will be notified by Placement staff with further instructions on how to take the placement test. Allow five business days to hear back.
- You will take the placement test at home, online and at your convenience.
- Once completed, email email@example.com to request a PDF copy of your results. Allow two business days to receive the results.
- Questions or concerns? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
You work indoors and outdoors. Workspaces range from outdoor scaffolding to crawl spaces inside walls. Apprentices complete a minimum of 8,000 hours of on-the-job training to qualify as an HVAC/R technician.
HVAC/R (heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration) combines sheet metal and electrical work.
- Service and repair of environmental control systems
- Fabrication and installation of ductwork
- Refrigeration installation, repair and brazing
How much can you earn?
How much can you earn?
The average journey-level wage is $31.96 an hour for MA #2026 HVAC/R training agents.
- High school diploma or GED
- At least 18 years of age
- Math (one or more items below qualifies)
- Minimum of one year of high school algebra with a grade of 'C' or better
- OR--placement into Math 70 or higher on Chemeketa's Placement Test
- OR--High school math equivalent is Math 60 and Math 70 taken at Chemeketa Community College
Training & Degrees
This is a four-year program that combines 8,000 hours of on-the-job training with concurrent related-training credit courses two nights a week (currently Wednesday and Thursday). Apprentices earn 15 academic credits a year and attend classes in the fall, winter and spring.
Successful graduates qualify for LE/B licensure and Brazing Industry certification.
Credits can be applied to a Certificate or AAS degree and can transfer to OIT for a BS degree.
Prepare While Waiting
While waiting for an opening, you may compile a portfolio of documentation required for program entry.
- Diploma or GED certificate
- Transcripts from high school and college
- Placement test scores
- Work experience documented on letterhead with the tasks listed and years of service (construction related)
- Trades and safety certificates
- For Veterans, a copy of the DD214 long form
Suggested high school and college classes to prepare for your career
- Blueprint Reading
- Algebra I & II
- CPR/First Aid
- OSHA 10
Brazing test/class - Date TBA
No date is scheduled at this time. If you would like to be notified when we have the next date, please send your name, number and email address to us by email or call 503.399.5255.
Visit these websites
Visit the following websites for more information.