breadcrumbs-home chemeketa-community-college-abstract-logo chemeketa-community-college-abstract-logo cross minus plus menu search oregon chemeketa-instagram chemeketa-logo-full-color envelope-o star check close home chevron-left chevron-right plus2 chevron-up chevron-down twitter facebook envelope linkedin angle-left angle-right angle-up angle-down rotate-left instagram
Jump to Header Jump to Main Navigation and Secondary Navigation Jump to main content Jump to Footer

Accessibility Services Frequently Asked Questions

Learn more about receiving services or providing them to your students.

Accessibility Accommodation FAQs



  • How do I receive my accommodations each term?
    When you register for classes in My Chemeketa they will automatically show up in AIM 1-2 days later so all you have to do is – 
    1. Sign into AIM using your My Chemeketa username
    2. You will see a list of your classes
    3. Click on the box next to the classes for which you want accommodations
    4. Click on Step 2 – Continue to Customize Your Accommodations
    5. Select accommodations for each class, making sure to click on the box for a Letter of Accommodation to go to your instructor
    6. Click on Submit Your Accommodation Requests

    Done. You have requested your accommodations for the term.

    Trouble shooting: If you cannot get into your AIM account call, email or stop by. 

  • How do I make an appointment to take a test?

    Important: be sure to talk to your instructor at the beginning of each term about your testing accommodations. 

    • Sign in to AIM 
    • Locate My Accommodations (left column)
    • Click on Alternative Testing
    • Select the appropriate class from the drop down menu 
    • Click Schedule an Exam
    • Click-Select One next to Request Type and choose type of exam you are scheduling
    • Date: Students are strongly encouraged to schedule tests at least 2 business days in advance for regular tests, or 5 business days for finals 
    • Services Requested: choose the accommodations you want for the test by clicking in the corresponding boxes 
    • Click on Add Exam Request

    At the top of the screen you will see system update is successful with a green check mark when you have entered everything correctly You will receive a reminder within 24 to 48 hours.

    *Important Information* Testing appointment times need to be scheduled during the SAS departments regularly scheduled business hours. If you have Questions about scheduling a test, or our regular business hours, please call us at 503.399.5192.

  • Who needs documentation of a disability?

    Any student who needs accommodations because of a condition that places substantial limitations on his/her functioning in an academic setting.

  • When must this documentation be provided?

    Documentation must be provided to the Student Accessibility Services office prior to receiving services.

  • Where is this documentation kept?

    Documentation is kept in a separate confidential file within the Student Accessibility Services office and is not part of the student's academic record.

    This office follows the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Standards.

  • Why does Chemeketa need documentation of disability?

    To determine eligibility and effective accommodations for each student.

    To meet funding sources requirements.


  • What do I need to do when I receive a Letter of Accommodation (LOA)?

    Each LOA lists the accommodations that have been approved for the specific student based upon the individuals accessibility needs. Some of the accommodations require no action on your part such as accessible furniture, recording devices, or use of laptop for notes. Other accommodations may require more interaction. For example a FM Loop may require a faculty member to wear a lapel microphone to ensure effective communication. Each accommodation has an active link that provides additional information about the specific accommodation. All accommodations should be implemented as outlined.

    We are here to help— if you have any questions or concerns regarding accommodations please contact Student Accessibility Services at your earliest opportunity.
  • I received an LOA and have a few questions/concerns. What is the best way to contact Student Accessibility Services (SAS)?

    For your convenience, there are several ways to contact our office. A member of our staff will contact you within two business days. Simply choose the method that is easiest for you.

    • Contact the Accommodation Specialist directly via the phone or email listed on the LOA
    • Faculty may also click on the Accommodation Contact Request Form embedded in the LOA then complete and submit
    • Call the Student Accessibility Services' main desk at ext. 5192
    • Visit Student Accessibility Services (Salem Bldg. 2, Rm. 174)
  • A student disclosed a disability to me and has asked for accommodations. I have not received a LOA. What are the next steps?

    If you have not received a LOA, this is most probably because the student has not yet applied for services through our office. Please encourage the student to come to Student Accessibility Services and we will be happy to assist the student and explain the process. Alternatively, the student can apply online.

    If the student reports that he/she has requested accommodations through our office, it may be that there is a step in the process that has not been completed. Again, please encourage the student to contact our office so that we can better understand the situation and assist the student.
  • The academic term is almost over and I received a new LOA. Why am I just getting notice of this now?

    There are several reasons why this may occur at any time during the term 

    • Students may apply for SAS at any time in a term
    • Sometimes a student who is eligible for an accommodations does not think that he/she will need it
    • However, later in the term, the student realizes that the accommodation would be beneficial and requests that a new LOA be sent to the instructor
    • Student Accessibility Services receives new documentation of disability
      • Based on this information, the student is eligible for a new accommodation(s)
  • Should I evaluate students with disabilities any differently that I do the rest of the class?

    All students are required to meet the course objectives. Some students with disabilities may demonstrate knowledge and mastery of academic materials through alternative processes. For example, a student may require frequent breaks during testing extending the time needed to complete the exam. However, the student is responsible for answering the same questions as all students.

  • The student's LOA states that they have been approved for accessible furniture as an accommodation. What is my role in providing this accommodation?

    The instructor has a very limited role in providing this accommodation. The Student Accessibility Services office will place accessible furniture in the classroom for use by the approved student. This furniture will be clearly labeled with a placard that indicates it should not be removed from its current location. To ensure that this furniture is available for the student who is requesting it, we ask that the furniture not be removed from the classroom. We also ask that if accessible furniture that has been placed in a classroom is removed unexpectedly, that you please notify our office as soon as possible so the furniture can be replaced. Additionally, if you are approached by a student in your class who needs accessible furniture and they have not provided you with an LOA for the current term, please refer them to the SAS office to make a formal accommodation request.

  • I have a student whose accommodation includes a laptop computer. I don’t allow students to use laptops in class. Why is the student using a laptop?

    A laptop may be an approved accommodation for access. For example, students who use speech-to text services for communication access will be receiving this accommodation via a laptop. Or students may need to access materials via a laptop to enable enlarged print or other print related need.

  • The student has been approved for Typewell or CART services. What does this mean?

    Typewell and CART are speech-to-text services that provide communication access to students that have been approved for this accommodation.

    A transcriber or captionist provides a real time transcript of the class lecture, discussion and comments. The student accesses the transcript via a laptop or tablet.

    Occasionally the transcriber/captionist will be in the classroom providing this service. Most often, the service is provided remotely which necessitates the instructor using or wearing a provided microphone. It is important to make sure the microphone is placed where the remote transcriber can hear the communication. It may also be necessary for the instructor wearing the microphone to repeat comments or questions from others in the classroom to insure that the student using the accommodation will be included and able participate in class discussions.

    When possible, please provide copies of PowerPoint presentations, overheads, handouts and other visual aids in advance. A student cannot simultaneously read a transcript and view the material you reference in class.
  • A student has asked me to wear a microphone or has a microphone placed near me. What is this used for?

    The student may be using an assistive listening device (ALD) or a speech-to-text service such as Typewell or CART. Both of these accommodations provide communication access to the student.

    In both cases, it is important to make sure the microphone is placed where the student using an ALD, or the remote transcriber, can hear the communication. It may also be necessary for the instructor wearing the microphone to repeat comments or questions from others in the classroom to ensure that the student using the accommodation will be included and able to participate in class discussions.
  • I have a deaf student and interpreters in my class. What are some things that would be helpful to consider?

    An interpreter is a trained professional who facilitates communication and interaction among those who use a spoken language and a signed language and is provided by the college.

    Helpful things to consider 
    • The interpreter needs to sit or stand where the student can see the instructor, the interpreter and any visual material
    • Expect a “lag time” between spoken and signed messages and allow time for the interpretation and response
    • Due to the length of the class or complexity of the content, there may be a team of two interpreters who will switch with each other after 15-30 minutes
      • There is no need to stop lecturing during a switch
      • The interpreters work in conjunction with each other to make sure no content is missed.
    • Maintain eye contact and speak directly to the student and speak at a normal pace
      • The interpreter will interpret all spoken and signed communication, as well any environmental noises and information
    • If you have questions or comments or concerns regarding a student’s grades, homework, or questions of a personal nature, please direct those to the student
      • If you have other concerns, you can contact the student’s Accommodation Specialist (listed on the Letter of Accommodation)
        • These types of questions would not be appropriate to direct to the interpreter
    • If you have questions regarding the interpreting process, how a particular lesson might be accommodated using interpreters, etc., please do ask the interpreter
      • He or she, along with the student, may have some insight or experience that will help
    • When possible, please provide interpreter access, in advance, to syllabus, handouts, power points, vocabulary, course calendar, or any other information you think may the interpreter prepare for the class
    • A student cannot simultaneously watch an interpreter, the instructor and view materials you reference in class
      • Taking notes may also be difficult
        • When possible, please provide copies of power points, overheads, handouts and other visual aids in advance
        • When passing out written material in class, allow time for the student to read before commenting so that the student is aware of the content and can participate fully
        • The student might also request a volunteer note taker in the class and will provide NCR note taking paper
    Be sure that all videos are captioned and that all audio recordings are transcribed. If you need assistance with this, please contact Student Accessibility Services.

    Face-to-face classes

    • You will receive an email from Student Accessibility Services (SAS) if there will be a student that requires captioned media as an accommodation who is registered in your class
    • Captioning can take two weeks or more to complete
    • Please send the video links listed in the order that they will be shown
    • When completed you will receive a link to the captioned video
    • If a video cannot be captioned for legal reasons and a copy of a captioned version cannot be obtained,  you may choose not to show the video or select a captioned alternative
    • The same process outlined above applies to audio files
    • SAS makes every effort to provide captioned materials in a timely manner. If you have questions or concerns regarding this process, please contact us at your earliest convenience


    • You will also receive an email from the Center for Academic Innovation outlining the process if there will be a student that requires captioned media as an accommodation who is registered in your class
    • When completed you will receive a link to the captioned video
    • The same process outlined above applies to audio files


  • Do I have to complete and submit a testing agreement?

    Yes, if you use tests/quizzes as a way of assessing your students. A completed agreement provides us with your instructions for proctoring the test/quiz. Additionally you will receive a reminder to submit your exam and the option to upload electronically.

  • I teach an online class. Do I need to complete a testing agreement?

    Yes, if any of the tests/quizzes require an onsite proctor. For example, if mid-terms and finals are done on a campus then a testing agreement must be completed.

  • When can students schedule their test?

    Students are strongly encouraged to schedule tests/quizzes through the AIM database system at least two business days in advance of regular tests/quizzes throughout the term, and five business days in advance for finals. Students attempting to schedule with less than the minimum advance notice must contact Student Accessibility Services directly. Every attempt will be made to accommodate the student. However, due to the limited testing space and availability of proctors, tests/quizzes may be scheduled outside of the requested time frame.

    Testing appointments need to be scheduled during the SAS departments regular business hours. Students enrolled in evening or weekend classes must contact Student Accessibility Services to discuss possible alternative arrangements.

  • What happens to my exam after the student completes it?

    After a student completes a test we scan it and email it to the instructor, if they have chosen that option on the agreement, or we file it in our testing cabinet until it is picked up. All tests/quizzes are scanned and locked in a secure area because there have been times when an issue has come up after the test has been delivered to the instructor. All testing materials are shredded at the end of each term.

  • How do I accommodate a “pop” quiz?

    There are many different approaches to meet the required accommodations. As each situation may vary please contact Student Accessibility Services to begin the interactive process.

  • If all students have a week to complete an exam, do I still have to provide additional time?

    If test access is unrestricted within the one-week window, then typically additional testing time need not be applied. On the other hand, if the test is timed within the one-week window, then the length of the time should be extended by the multiplier (e.g., 1.5X, 2.0X) listed in the LOA. For additional questions or further discussion please contact Student Accessibility Services.

  • What is the difference between class notes and a memory aid?

    Class notes are not an accommodation. Class notes consist of information that the faculty member has approved for all students in a class to use on a test/quiz. A memory aid is an accommodation which students with a documented disability(ies) that significantly impacts memory function may be eligible for.

    A memory aid may contain acronyms, pictures, charts, definitions, or mind maps. A memory aid will not be useful to the student unless the student knows and understands how to use the information it refers to. A student must met with the instructor regarding the content. The instructor can make requirements regarding the size/font/number of pages.

    Please note that the memory aid must be delivered with the test and include the instructor’s signature.

  • What are the testing procedures at the Yamhill Valley campus?

    YVC Testing Center administers Chemeketa online course exams, makeup exams and testing for students with testing accommodations. In addition they provide placement testing and numerous tests for other colleges and non-Chemeketa organizations.

    Instructor responsibilities for proctored exams 

    • Fill out an instructor test request form to ensure that the test is proctored to your expectations
      • Forms are located in the YVC Testing Center (Yamhill Bldg. 1, Rm. 203) and its mailbox in the first floor staff area
      • Include any testing accommodations a student might have on the form
    • Deliver the instructor test request form with the exam or proctoring details before the student’s scheduled appointment using one of the following methods 
      • Hand-deliver to the YVC Testing Center during business hours. (Do not leave the exam unattended in the center during closures)
      • Place in the YVC Testing Center’s mailbox
      • Email exam and form to Yamhill Testing

    Student responsibilities for proctored exams 

    • Students must scheduleexam appointment with YVC Testing Center during business hours
      • All proctored exams require an appointment
      • Disability accommodations need at least two business days for adequate time for staff to prepare
    • Students should communicate with their instructor regarding scheduled exam date and time to ensure the exam will be at the YVC Testing Center before the student arrives for the appointment
  • What are the testing procedures at the Polk center?

    Please contact the Polk Center at 503.623.5567 for specific information on Polk Center testing procedures.